Last week I got into a new exercise regime. I’m with my kids a lot over the next 6 weeks and I wanted to stay committed to feeling healthy (and sane!) for the 42 days of the summer hols.
So I signed up to a programme, got instant access to the videos, and in my newly found enthusiasm I jumped straight in.
And immediately hit a wall!
- I hadn’t done the tutorial video showing me how to do the correct moves.
- I hadn’t got the right equipment.
- I hadn’t taken my before measurements or weight or set my goals.
Not doing this groundwork meant I stumbled at the first hurdle. What a twit I was!
Luckily I have now watched all the tutorials and set my plan.
But it got me thinking.
I’ve been running my Stand Out and Speak intensive with some pretty awesome clients lately. They won’t mind me saying that when they came to me for help, they had big dreams, expertise and a burning passion, but they were pretty stuck.
And the reason why?
Each and every one of them had overlooked the fundamental ground work needed in order to feel confident and clear about who they are and what they do and executing a plan.
Even if they had been running their business for a few years too.
Whether you have an innovative product
You run a consultancy
Or you are an entrepreneur or coach providing a service….
You absolutely cannot skip the most important part of the process!
Defining your core story.
What is your core story?
It’s the edited, aligned, most relevant personal and professional journey that got you to where you stand today doing exactly what you do right now (or want to do as part of your next step.)
Why is it important?
Getting clarity on your core story gives you the confidence to own your niche by realising why you are the expert in what you do. It gives you clarity on the people you really want to help and gives you the focus to know how you can help them and what you offer. It can help guide you forward, communicating who you are, what you are about and how you can help people in a really effective way.
What can you use it for?
You can use your core story for the about me page on your website, to deliver livestreams, webinars, virtual talks, real life talks or sessions. You can use it to define your headlines and authority statements (I help x do x by x.) It can also be trimmed down into a three minute story which works perfectly when giving podcast interviews, guest expert sessions and intros in talks.
How do I do it?
Use my five step process.
- Get clear on your personal brand values. Usually 5 key values that best represent you and what you are aiming to achieve in your business.
2. Identify your key strengths and ‘go left messages.’. The things that you get totally in ‘flow’ when doing and the messages that stand you apart from the crowd.
- Map out your story.
Ask yourself these questions.
- ‘What happened to set me off on the path to where I am now?’
- ‘What relevant professional experience makes me the expert?’
- ‘What significant challenge or moment of inspiration did I have that led me here?’
- ‘What was the turning point moment that led me on a new or different path?
- ‘What do I have to say to my audience as a result of my journey that will give them hope and inspire?’
- Record your core story out loud or write it out and get confident with it!
- Set a plan of how you will get your story out there to generate leads, build credibility and trust and win more business.
I’d love to know how you get on! Hit reply and let me know!
You may benefit from my stand out and speak intensive
I use the AIR system to assess exactly where you are and what you need. Then I take you through the 5 steps above (some before our session, some during, some after.)
The result? A core story and a plan of exactly how to use it to get yourself out there and start getting results.
If you live near the Brighton area or are happy to travel we can have it in my garden too!
I have one space left in September.
Let me know if you’d like to chat.